Two International Masters – John Donaldson and Nikolay Minev – have met to produce the ultimate work on Akiba Rubinstein. The two-volume biography and game collection (revised and considerably expanded second edition 2006 [Volume 1] or 2011 [Volume 2] respectively) is the result of a research work of many years and deserves unreserved praise with regard to the completeness of material and the correctness of description. The reader will find 492 + 583 = 1075 games and game fragments in both volumes. Naturally hardback volumes (instead of paperbacks) would have been desirable, but you can't have it all...
(R.B., III 2012)
Review Volume 1 by Taylor Kingston at ChessCafe
Review Volume 2 by Dennis Monokroussos - The Chess Mind Blog
Further publications (selection):
- Elmars Zemgalis. Grandmaster without the Title
Pomeranian Publishing, Berkeley 2001. Softcover, 160 pp.
- Olaf Ulvestad: An American original
Thinkers‘ Press, Davenport 2002. Softcover, 36 pp.
- A Legend On the Road: Bobby Fischer's 1964 Simul Tour
2nd ed., Russell, Milford 2005. Softcover, 198 pp. (1st ed. 1994)
- Imre König
The Chess Player, Nottingham 2005. Softcover, 159 pp.
- A Strategic Opening Repertoire
2nd ed., Russell, Milford 2008. Softcover, 272 pp. (1st ed. 1998)
- The Life and Games of Frank Ross Anderson You get the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Moravian Chess, Olomouc 2009. Hardcover, 361 pp.
Review by Brian Almeida: An Inspirational Tale
Excerpt from the foreword at http://www.newinchess.com/...
- Emanuel Lasker, eds. Richard Forster, Stefan Hansen, Michael Negele (Exzelsior Verlag Berlin, 2009), chapter 21: Weltmeister ohne Titel, pp. 631-645
- Co-authored by Nikolay Minev and Yasser Seirawan:
Alekhine in Europe and Asia 619 Games ... from Europe and Asia 1905-1945
International Chess Enterprises, Seattle 1993. Paperback, 118 pp.
- Co-authored by Eric Tangborn:
The Unknown Bobby Fischer
International Chess Enterprises, Seattle 1999. Softcover, 191 pp.
A valuable information should not get lost – Jacqueline Piatigorsky: Patron, Player, Pioneer – a marvelous exhibition at the World Chess Hall of Fame running from October 25, 2013 to July 13, 2014 – has been curated by John Donaldson, and complete information, a press release and a wonderful downloadable PDF of the exhibition brochure is available at www.worldchesshof.org/exhibitions/....