Nearly 20 participants gathered for this year's regional KWA meeting in
the Austrian capital which naturally seemed to be predestined for a meeting
of chess historians, as this metropolis was for more than half a century
(about 1880 to 1938) a European chess centre of outstanding importance.
Not by chance the magazine KARL had taken account of the brilliant
chess past of the Danube metropolis with a focal topic (in issue 2/2009).
Our multinational group which was still completed by Viennese guests,
spouses and companions (see group
photos) initially met in the Haus
des Schachsports, the club seat of the Viennese Chess Association
which was intended for the venue of the meeting. Organizational care was
provided by the two vice presidents of the association, René Schwab
and Johann Pöcksteiner (Vorstand
[Board]), at first the former guided us through the rooms.
Court Library with the equestrian statue of Joseph II.
In the afternoon the visit of the imperial palace was on the programme,
starting with the Collection of Manuscripts and Old Printings
of the Austrian National Library (Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek,
ÖNB). We got competent guidance from the Messrs. Ernst Gamillscheg
(expert of the HAD) and Hans Petschar (director of the ÖNB picture
library and the graphic collection) who presented us a number of medieval
manuscripts and tracts.
(Guy Van Habberney) and host (Karl Kadletz)
Darko Pleća had arrived from Belgrade.
A book in Middle High German on chess and other board
Sanvito obviously in his element ...
The pictures below give an impression of the "Prunksaal"
- Ceremonial Room of the ÖNB
which just hosted the exhibition "Jews, Christians and Muslims. Intercultural
Dialogue in Old Scripts".
You will find further details on this wonderful baroque styled library
at the corresponding web site www.onb.ac.at/prunksaal.htm
(including a virtual tour).
Competent explanation of the ceiling frescos by Karl Kadletz.
fresco of the Ceremonial Room