Announcements
 



On the way to "mystic places":
From the Jewish Cemetery in Berlin-Weißensee
to Kórnik Castle



[Page 8/8]





 

Tytus Dzialynski
The castle in its today’s form was rebuildt by Tytus Działynski (1796-1861) in neo-gothic style in the first half of the 19th century. With the idea of founding a library which should document the former significance and glory of the divided Poland he collected manuscripts and old printed works, purchased specifically sources on the history of the Polish state and the Polish people in the whole of Europe. His son Jan Kanty Działynski (1829-1880) continued this tradition as well as the extension of the castle, and so one of the most famous Polish libraries developed there.

A special forming influence on the castle and its collections however had Władysław Zamoyski (1853-1924), son-in-law of Jan Działynski. Keeping expenses as low as possible and leading a humble life, he announced after the death of his wife to set up a foundation and to consign the castle of Kórnik and all collections to the Polish nation. This foundation survived till 1952, therefore the collections got undamaged through the wartime and largely through the time after as well, when Kórnik came into possession of the Polish Academy of Science -
Wladyslaw Zamoyski

Arboretum
... the collection there of tree seeds (Arboretum with more than 3000 species) is internationally renowned. Since 2002 the foundation character has been restored in Kórnik.



The photos give an impression of the magnificent interior:

The ceiling panelling of the dining room, decorated with coats of arms.
Ceiling panelling



Dining room
The dining room with precious furnishings (on the left and below).


 



The Mauritanian Hall The Moresque Hall
(Mauritanian Hall)




Kórnik castle in a warmer season

Kórnik Castle







back
top of page